Black River Falls Municipal Utilities
Home Contact Us Site Map Bookmark and Share

How to Reach Us
Bill Payment Options
Electric Department
Water Department
Sewer Department
Summary of Rates
Change Mailing Address
Terminate Service
Report Street Light Outage
Web Site Survey
Quick Feedback
WI Legisature Statute 66.0809

Water Department : FAQ's
System Overview
Customer Bill of Rights
Consumer Confidence Report
Leak Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What should I do when I see water bubbling up from the street?

A. This problem is likely due to a water main or a service break. Call the Water Dept. at 284-2777 during business hours or the Sheriff’s Dept. at 284-5357 for after hour emergencies.

Q. What should I do if I am going to dig, landscape, or put in a new driveway, etc.?

A. You should call Digger’s Hotline at 1-800-242-8511 at least 3 working days before you dig. We will then get a notice from Digger’s Hotline to come and locate your water shut-off in your yard. If the shut-off is in your driveway or sidewalk, call the Water Dept. and we will raise or lower it to grade. If your shut-off is buried under concrete or blacktop, we will have to dig it out and the cost of restoration will be the resident’s responsibility. Digger’s Hotline will also notify other utility companies to locate the gas, electric, cable, and telephone. These utility companies will not mark private lines such as propane lines, etc.

Q. Why are hydrants flushed and why is my water rust colored afterwards?

A. Hydrants are flushed twice a year (spring and fall) to ensure the hydrants are working properly and to flush sediment out of the water mains. The rust color comes from iron build up, which has been stirred up during the flushing process. We attempt to run the water long enough to clear it up but sometimes some discoloring still exists. If your water is reddish in color, wait until after the flushing is finished for the day and then turn on your cold water tap to flush out your service and lines. DO NOT FLUSH USING THE HOT WATER TAP!! If you have less water pressure or volume after doing this, take the screens off your faucets and clean them out.

Q. I want to water my lawn but I don’t want to pay sewer charges. What can I do?

A. You can get a second meter (called a deduct meter) for a $4.50 monthly service charge. You will have to hire a plumber to install the deduct meter after your main meter and reconnect the deduct meter directly to your outside faucets.

Q. What part of my water service am I responsible for?

A. The Water Utility is responsible for the service up to and including the shut-off (curb-stop) in your yard. The Water Dept. also owns the water meter(s). The resident is responsible for the service line from the curb-stop to the residence.

© Copyright 2017 Black River Falls Municipal Utilities  |  Privacy Statement